Neck pain can stem from a multitude of causes such as carrying a heavy backpack or purse on one shoulder for an extended period of time, cradling your phone between your shoulder and neck, muscle strain or spasms, emotional stress, Fibromyalgia, Herniated disk, Meningitis, Osteoarthritis (disease causing the breakdown of joints), poor posture, Rheumatoid arthritis (inflammatory joint disease), sleeping on your abdomen or with too many or too few pillows, Spinal stenosis, Tension headache, TMJ disorders, Trauma from accidents or falls, Whiplash and more.
Some common treatments of the neck include:
- a combination of rest, heat or ice therapy and anti-inflammatory therapy
- manual therapy, including massage
- stretching and strengthening exercises
- epidural steroid injections for inflammation and pain relief
- radio-frequency ablation (RFA)